Wednesday, August 15, 2018

John R. Dixon



Meet my mother's mother's mother's father. Ha-Ha! Better put, my 2nd great-grandfather, John Robert Dixon. I just recently received this picture of him from my grandmother's cousin after asking her several times over the last few years to see it. He was born Feb. 23, 1858 in Wellington, Ontario, Canada to Adam Dixon and Matilda Howes who were both immigrants to Ontario from England. Adam's family from the province of Northumberland, and Matilda from Northamptonshire, bringing the family to Grant Twp., Grand Traverse Co., MI around 1870 when John was about 12 years of age. 
I know very little about him. My Grandma Pearson never talked about him, other than the family was poor when her mother was growing up. He married, Ida May Cook 8 Apr 1885 at the Methodist parsonage in Bartlett (near Buckley), Ida also being of English ancestry.  I heard much more about Ida than I did of John. He passed away from "Acute Indigestion" April 22, 1922. 
Posting a family picture of John and Ida Dixon, my great-grandmother, Carrie Adeline being the little girl with the dark hair, pulled back, in the center. 
With this picture I have finally seen what all of my 2nd great-grandparents looked like, other than Ralph and Mary (Mueller) Kreiser, whom when I asked my Grandma Rita if there were any pictures of her Grandpa and Grandma Kreiser around, she said that at one time there probably were but her mother either threw them away or burned them! When Fritz and Louise (Steinebach) Kreiser were married they were living with his parents, and there was some tension between them and Louise. So, if any Kreiser relation is reading this blog and comes across any pictures of Ralph and Mary, please share! 
John and Ida Dixon and children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment